Although the Valuation Rolls suggest that Heatherlie was built around 1887 it was first occupied by John MacMahon who was advertising his business from there as 'The Studio' in 1884.
In 1896 part of the building was converted to provide space for the Caledonian Banking Company (later taken over by the Bank of Scotland in 1908) which remained there till 1925.
For a year in 1899 the premises were also occupied by J Johnston & Co, Hairdressers and James Mackenzie, Shoemaker.
Alex Cross, a Draper, ran his business there from 1908-1912 and then relocated to Cromartie Buildings. In 1922 Dr J. Pender Smith, who lived at The Croft in Dingwall, took over the building as a House & Consulting Room. From 1933-1944 it was occupied by James S. Cree, who was the County Road Surveyor. It seems it was named ‘Heatherlie’ in about 1936.
It lay empty at the end of WW2 but was then taken on by Mrs Alice Robertson Brebner and remained in the family until at least the mid 1980s.